Agartala: The body of a minor, who was allegedly raped and killed on Monday night, was recovered by North Tripura police on Tuesday afternoon.
Speaking with EastMojo, North Tripura SP Bhanu Pada Chakraborty said that the six-yr-old girl, daughter of a tea garden labourer, hails from Padmapur area in Dharmanagar town. The body was recovered by locals from a waterlogged area in a tea garden, 10 km from her house.
The Dharmanagar police have arrested two persons in this connection — Saurab Nath (20), son of the landlord of the house where the minor’s family was staying, and his friend Dibakar Das (20). A bike, reportedly used in the crime, was also seized by the police late on Tuesday evening.
The victim was missing since Monday evening and a case was also registered in this connection. “We are waiting for the postmortem report while investigation is going on,” police sources said.
Earlier on Sunday, a 12-yr-old minor was allegedly raped in Kalagang area under Kadamtala police station of North Tripura district.
Kadamtala police station officer-in-charge Debjir Chatterjee said that the minor was allegedly dragged to a nearby jungle and raped by some of her neighbours.
Later, the 12-yr-old informed her parents about the incident and a case was registered in the police station. “We have arrested one Abdul Jalil (53) in connection with the case and are waiting for the medical reports,” police sources said.
- ‘The Elephant Whisperers’ shows how man, elephants can co-exist
- Assam: ASDMA, PWD to mitigate disasters under WB-funded project
- Who will look after girls when husbands go to jail, Owaisi asks Assam CM
- Assam: RSS-affiliate JDSSM demands removal of Christians from ST list
- ‘Immigrant’ row: Joint Action Group calls for Sikkim Bandh on February 8
- Tripura 2023: TIPRA’s manifesto focuses on environment, LGBTQ+ rights