Tinsukia: One Assam Rifles personnel was killed in an ambush by suspected National Socialist Council of Nagalim (Isac Muviah) militants near Sanliam village, 10kms south of Khonsa, in Arunachal Pradesh’s Tirap district today.
The development came three months after 6 Assam Rifles killed six militants belonging to NSCN (IM) faction in an early morning encounter near Nginu village, close to Myanmar border, in neighbouring Longding district.
NSCN-IM is among the Naga militant outfits which has signed a ceasefire pact with the government of India.
According to sources, the incident took place around 6.30 am when a convoy of 6 Assam Rifles came under heavy fire. “In the firefight, one personnel of Assam Rifles died while one sustained bullet injuries.”
Sources said, it is the handiwork of NSCN (IM) group in retaliation to the killing of its armed cadres in July this year.
The Assam Rifles is yet to reveal the identity of the martyred soldier till the time of filing this news report. Attempts to speak to Assam Rifles for an official statement by this correspondent turned futile.
- Arunachal: Dy CM holds meeting with APEDA, power department
- Pakistan ‘not completely optimistic’ of Taliban govt in Kabul: NSA
- Changes in IAS rules will up scope for abuse of power by Centre: ex-civil servants
- Entire nation’s eyes on us: Tata Sons chairman to AI employees
- Assembly polls: Public meetings for first phase in UP from Friday
- Meghalaya CM breaks silence over attending R-Day celebrations