President Ram Nath Kovind on Monday handed out the prestigious Padma awards to laureates from across the nation for their contribution in various fields.
A total of 119 awards were presented this year comprising 7 Padma Vibhushan, 10 Padma Bhushan and 102 Padma Shri awards. Of these awardees, 29 are women, 16 posthumous awardees and 1 transgender awardee.
Fifteen individuals from the Northeast have been honoured with the fourth highest civilian award in India – the Padma Shri and one has been awarded with the third highest honour – the Padma Bhushan. These honours follow the prestigious Bharat Ratna and Padma Vibhushan.
Among these distinguished awardees is former Chief Minister of Assam Tarun Gogoi, who has been presented with the honour of Padma Bhushan, posthumously. Gogoi passed away in 2020 owing to post COVID-19 complications and was the longest serving chief minister of Assam.
Here is a list of Padma Shri awardees from Northeast India that were presented with the honour.
- Lakhimi Baruah – Public Affairs
- Gopiram bargayn Burabhakat – Art
- Bijoya Chkaravarty – Public Affairs
- Mangal Singh Hazowary – Literature & Education
- Dulal Manki – Art
- Birubala Rabha – Social Work
- Roman Sarmah – Literature & Education
- Imran Shah – Literature & Education
- Sangkhumi Bualchhuak – Social Work
- Radha Devi – Art
- Rewben Mashangra – Art
- Anshu Jamsenpa – Sports
- Nanadro B Marak – Agriculture
- Satyaram Reang – Art
- Tarundeep Rai – Sports
Here is a complete list of Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri awardees.
The Padma Awards were instituted in 1954 and are awarded to citizens of India in recognition of their distinguished contribution in various spheres of activity including arts, education, industry, literature, science, sports, medicine, social service and public affairs.
- Bharat Jodo Yatra: Rahul Gandhi gives flying kisses to people at BJP office
- Centre allocated Rs 1,237 cr to Nagaland: Tudu
- Garena’s Free Fire Max Redeem Codes for 6 December, 2022
- Discussion on child protection in Assam Assembly soon, says Speaker
- Ambedkar’s struggles gave hope to millions: PM Modi
- Hockey World Cup: Trophy tour to have stoppages in Imphal & Guwahati