Imphal: At least four civilians were injured in a tear gas shelling by police personnel during an eviction drive carried out at New Checkon Tribal Colony in Imphal East district on Monday.
As per sources, the locals were injured when they protested the eviction carried out in presence of Wangkhei MLA Arunkumar Thangjam. No house or buildings were damaged on Monday. However, all machinery remained stationed in the area in order to continue the drive.
According to Imphal East DC Th Diana, the residents have been asked to vacate the government quarters since a year back. However, they have ignored it, she added.
She said the drive was carried out in order to construct a new building since the existing quarters are already in a dilapidated condition. At present, altogether 187 families are occupying the government quarters.
Residents staying at the quarters are requesting the government to arrange an alternative for them.
Earlier, Chief Minister N Biren Singh had said the government will start evicting the illegal occupiers at government-allowed quarters and also those government employees who are renting their quarters to others will face suspension.
The government will even initiate termination action against those employees, Singh had posted on his Facebook page.
This action is being taken to check the illegal activities by many illegal occupiers of the quarters, he added.
- PM Modi meets UP ministers in Lucknow, stresses on good governance
- Rajnath Singh launches 2 indigenously built warships ‘Surat’ and ‘Udaygiri’
- Trained sniffer dogs may detect Covid infected airport passengers: Study
- WPI inflation at record high in April on price rise across all items
- Manipur: Even floods can’t stop these kids from coming to school in Noney
- Govt OKs exporting wheat registered with customs prior to ban