Imphal: An IED blast on Wednesday killed one Assam Rifles personnel and injured another. According to initial reports, the incident took place around 1:30 pm in the Usoipokpi Sangomsang area under the Lilong police station in Thoubal district of Manipur.
The blast killed one Assam Rifles jawan, L Wangsu, who was from Arunachal Pradesh. Pingku Das, a jawan who hails from Tripura, was injured.
According to sources, insurgent group PREPAK Pro was behind the blast.
The blast comes a day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the state.
On Tuesday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his Manipur visit accused the previous governments in New Delhi of neglecting Manipur and the Northeast and creating a “hill-valley chasm”, while asserting the BJP-led governments at the Centre and in the state ushered in a new dawn of peace and development.
The Northeast will become the driver of India’s growth story, he said, after dedicating to the nation and laying the foundation stone for 22 development projects worth Rs 4,815 crore in election-bound Manipur.
- Manipur pre-poll violence: Grenade hurled at NPP supporter’s house
- In pictures: Lee Se-young’s ‘Clever & Clover’ gets to Vogue Korea cover
- Huge cache of arms, ammunition found in Paschim Medinipur
- Arunachal boy, 17, abducted by China’s PLA; Rahul slams PM
- TMC leader Abhishek Banerjee running parallel administration: Malviya
- Tripura logs 1,242 new Covid-19 cases, 4 more deaths