Imphal: The escort team of the National People’s Party (NPP) MLA Jayantakumar were allegedly assaulted and their vehicles vandalised by Manipur BJP youth wing president and workers in Imphal a day before party chief Conrad Sangma’s visit to the state.
According to a complaint report to the Imphal West Superintendent of Police, NPP Manipur president N Kayisii said the incident occurred on the eve of national president Conrad K. Sangma’s arrival in Manipur to launch the election campaign for the ensuing polls in 2022.
Kayisii said the party had obtained permission from the district magistrate regarding the party conducting election campaign in Manipur.
For this purpose, the NPP’s Youth Front organised flag fixing at the No Man’s Land at Keishampat Tiddim Road where all political parties are hoisting their flags, stated Kayisii.
However, in their complaint, the NPP said BJYM president Barish Sharma, RK Maxn and the youths of BJYM came and attempted to assault NPP Youth Front members while the latter were hoisting NPP flags.
The NPP has also alleged that some civil dress escort of Barish Sharma, along with RK Maxn, who were likely Manipur police personnel, assaulted the three escorts of the Keishamthong AC MLA and vandalised two vehicles. The driver escaped from the site of incident, the complaint said.
On Monday, NPP national president Conrad Sangma launched the party’s election campaign for the upcoming Manipur elections next year at Kshetrigao assembly constituency in Imphal West district.
- Majority of schemes to benefit women: Assam CM
- Assam ready with roadmap to take back youths who abjure violence: CM
- Arunachal to provide budgetary support to promote sports events: Khandu
- 5 suspected ‘Chinese’ nationals caught with precious stones at Gangtok hotel
- Nagaland: One person killed in Mon during protests, death toll rises to 14
- Review: ‘Drushyam 2’ is just as good as its Malayalam original