In a bizarre announcement, Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani said the dragon fruit would be renamed as ‘Kamalam’ since the fruit’s outer shape resembles a lotus.
Kamalam in Sanskrit means lotus.
The tropical fruit has a unique look and taste. Native to Mexico and Central America, the fruit tastes like a mix of kiwi and pear.
Rupani also highlighted that the name ‘Dragon Fruit’ is associated with China, and we have changed it, said reports. China is also known as the Land of Dragons.
This decision has evoked a storm of reactions on Twitter.
“Hallelujah! The dragon has been shown its place… oh wait, I meant dragonfruit,” joked Shiv Sena MP Priyanka Chaturvedi.
Check reactions below:
- Molecule neutralising SARS-CoV-2 virus found, could reduce infection duration
- Chatbot revolution risks becoming a race of the reckless
- In Russia’s war on Ukraine, one of battlegrounds is language
- HM Amit Shah to visit Mizoram on April 1
- Manul, the ‘grumpiest cat,’ confirmed on the world’s highest mountain
- No starvation deaths reported by states/UTs: Govt