Guwahati: Like the other parts of the Northeast, residents of Guwahati also woke up to shivering cold on Friday morning as temperature dipped to 10 degrees Celsius in the city. Imphal turned out to be the coldest in the region with 5 degrees Celcius so far on Friday.
A blanket of thick fog engulfed the city till noon on Friday. The India Meteorological Department (IMD) predicts foggy and cloudy sky in and around the city in the next three days. The condition of other parts of the Northeast is likely to remain the same. However, mist and fog conditions have not affected flight and train services so far.
Speaking sith EastMojo, India Met Department director Sanjay Anil Saw said, “The city dwellers will continue to witness fog and mist in the morning and partly cloudy sky later in the day for the next three days.”
Some of the upper Assam districts also experienced thunderstorms in the last 24 hours. Hailstorm hit parts of Jorhat and North Lakhimpur on Thursday night. People were seen lighting up fires by the roadside and at fireplaces in homes to keep them warm.
Other parts of Northeast are also expected to feel the chill with the Met department forecasting extreme cold weather in the coming days. Temperature in Shillong is expected to dip to 6 degrees Celsius on Friday only to marginally rise to 7 degrees Celsius on Saturday.
At 5 degrees Celsius, Imphal has been the coldest among the northeastern states. It is expected to get a tad warmer on Saturday at 6 degrees Celsius.
- Meghalaya organisation writes to CM, urges action on fuel prices
- Russia’s daily Covid-19 death toll passes 1,000
- Man arrested for selling church property worth more than Rs 50 crore
- Watch: What made this Assam teacher bow down before students?
- Singhu border lynching: Victim’s family says he was ‘god-fearing’
- NE records 4- 5°C higher than usual, weather likely to improve in next 24 hrs