Guwahati: Queuing up early to cast your vote doesn’t just make you feel like responsible citizens, but also fetches you the Election Commission (EC) medal for ‘early voters’.
Along with the rest of India, several voters were awarded with the medals by the authorities concerned in a bid to encourage voter turnout.
At Mawryngkneng polling booth in Meghalaya, for instance, journalist Shweta Raj Kanwar received the medal for a second consecutive time.
Speaking with EastMojo, Kanwar said, “It’s a coincidence that I received the medal. I went to vote early, as, being a journalist, I had to get quickly get back to work. However, for other, it works as a motivation.”
Likewise, five voters from another rural polling station under Meghalaya’s Shillong constituency got EC’s ‘first to vote’ medals.
Voting for Lok Sabha elections is going on in full steam for the 14 parliamentary constituencies across Northeast India.
- PM Modi congratulates Lalduhoma on taking oath as Mizoram CM
- Hornbill Festival continues even after winter rain lashes Kohima
- WB paddlers dominate Day 2 of Uni TT tournament in Guwahati
- Huge honour: Arunachal ranger Bunty Tao to lead Asian Rangers Forum
- Fake toll plaza in Gujarat collects over Rs 75 crore
- Adoption process must be fast-tracked: Tripura Minister