Guwahati: Queuing up early to cast your vote doesn’t just make you feel like responsible citizens, but also fetches you the Election Commission (EC) medal for ‘early voters’.
Along with the rest of India, several voters were awarded with the medals by the authorities concerned in a bid to encourage voter turnout.
At Mawryngkneng polling booth in Meghalaya, for instance, journalist Shweta Raj Kanwar received the medal for a second consecutive time.
Speaking with EastMojo, Kanwar said, “It’s a coincidence that I received the medal. I went to vote early, as, being a journalist, I had to get quickly get back to work. However, for other, it works as a motivation.”
Likewise, five voters from another rural polling station under Meghalaya’s Shillong constituency got EC’s ‘first to vote’ medals.
Voting for Lok Sabha elections is going on in full steam for the 14 parliamentary constituencies across Northeast India.
- Meghalaya: Govt considering jobs for dependents of Mukroh victims
- Meghalaya: State limping back to normalcy after Mukroh violence, says CM
- Mukroh incident linked to timber smuggling, not border dispute: Special DGP
- Did Dibrugarh Uni try to cover up ragging incident? Police to probe, says Assam CM
- Arunachal bags 14 medals in Wushu Women’s League
- Mizoram: BJP, MNF to form coalition government in MADC