New Delhi: Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi is likely to be the chief guest for the Republic Day celebrations here next year.
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar is learnt to have extended the formal invitation to el-Sisi during an official visit to Cairo last month.
This would be the first time that an Egyptian president would be the chief guest at the Republic Day celebrations.
India had not invited any foreign dignitary as the chief guest for the Republic Day celebrations in 2021 and 2022 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Darjeeling MP terms SC’s ‘foreigners’ judgement highly objectionable
- Rollout of HPV vaccine: Govt’s likely to float global tender in April
- What happens to data when we no longer use social media network
- Meghalaya polls: BJP, TMC will win no seats in Garo Hills, says Marcuise Marak
- Immunity vs Covid is stronger with more time between jab, infection: Study
- Food systems that’ll feed Mars are set to transform food on Earth