New Delhi: Minister for Railways Ashwini Vaishnaw on Monday felicitated weightlifter Mirabai Chanu who won a silver medal in the Tokyo Olympics, and announced a reward of Rs 2 crore and a promotion in her job in the Northeast Frontier Railway.
The minister said she has inspired billions around the world with her talent, handwork and grit.
“It was great to meet and congratulate the pride of India and honour of Indian Rly, @mirabai_chanu. Also felicitated her & announced Rs. 2 Cr , a promotion and more. She has inspired billions around the world with her talent, handwork and grit.
Keep winning for India!” Vaishnaw tweeted.
Chanu, who returned to the country on Monday evening, lifted a total of 202kg (87kg+115kg) in the 49kg category to better Karnam Malleswari’s bronze in the 2000 Sydney Olympics on Saturday.
Chanu, hailing from Manipur, was promoted as an Officer on Special Duty (Sports) in the Northeast Frontier Railway in April, 2018.
- Assam reports eight COVID-19 deaths, 412 new cases
- Shillong Morning Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for September 28
- BTS: ‘Permission to dance on stage’ after 2 years & ARMY can’t keep calm!
- Assam government to explore commercialisation of spices
- North Korea fires short-range missile to sea in latest test
- Taliban issue no-shave order to barbers in Afghan province