Imphal: A mysterious disease killed over 30 water buffaloes along the Indo-Myanmar border in Manipur’s Ukhrul district.
According to the locals, the first death of a cattle was reported from New Tusom village on March 18. Later, similar deaths were also reported from two more adjoining villages: Razai Khullen and Kharasom.
Altogether, 35 water buffaloes belonging to different cattle owners have succumbed to the unknown disease, with Razai Khullen village having reported the highest number of deaths (18), followed by Kharasom (9) and New Tusom (8).
Most of the dead buffaloes were found along the Challou River.
Speaking to EastMojo, Paomi Zimik, a local cattle owner, informed that the villagers are yet to know the exact cause of the disease. Worryingly, however, they have not been contacted by any official from the veterinary and horticulture department.
Most buffaloes succumbed after bleeding through their nose, while others had huge stomachs. Al the buffaloes died within two to three days, informed Zimik. He further lamented that if timely intervention from the concerned department is not carried out, there would be heavy fatalities of cattle, like the last year’s epidemic.
Last year in October, over 250 asiatic buffaloes died in the same region due to Septicaemia (HS), a contagious bacterial disease.
It may be noted that most of the villages in hill districts in Manipur, including Ukhrul, are predominantly dependent on agriculture for livelihoods and rearing of cattle is one of the main sources of income.
According to Zimik, a five-year-old buffalo, considered fully-grown, costs at least Rs 70,000 to Rs 1 lakh each.
- Tripura: Interlocutor by March 27, says Pradyot after Amit Shah’s call
- Manipur: Thouands throng Khuman Lampak Stadium for 1st int’l football tourney
- Ex-Arunachal Minister Karma Wangchu conferred with Padma Shri
- PM Modi holds high-level review meeting on Covid, influenza situation
- Thapa helps India beat Myanmar in Imphal tri-nation opener
- Assam: Man allegedly kills minor for playing video games in Silchar