Imphal: Congress MLA D Korungthang from Tengnoupal assembly constituency on Tuesday resigned from the membership of the Manipur Assembly ahead of general elections.
MLA Korungthang submitted his resignation letter to the speaker of the Manipur Legislative Assembly on Monday evening.
Consequent upon his resignation, 42 Tengnoupal (ST) assembly constituency is now lying vacant with effect from January 4, stated K Meghajit Singh, secretary, Manipur Legislative Assembly, in a notification.
As per sources, MLA Korungthang is also likely to resign from the Congress party and join another political party in a couple of days.
It may be worth mentioning that YAS minister Letpao Haokip, who had recently joined the BJP, had earlier announced that he will be contesting the upcoming elections from 42 Tengnoupal AC.
In 2017, Haokip was elected from 41 Chandel assembly constituency on National People Party (NPP) ticket.
- Sikkim Republic Day celebration to be low-key
- Arunachal R-Day tableau to display Anglo-Abor Wars
- ‘Bulli Bai’ case accused used Sikh names to create animosity: Cops to court
- Meghalaya oposition attacks govt, says illegal coal mining continues
- Women’s AFC Asian Cup to proceed as long as there are 13 players: Praful Patel
- Republic Day flypast this year will be ‘grandest’ with 75 aircraft: IAF