Congress leader Rahul Gandhi reached Guwahati on Wednesday morning to pay his respects to the former Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi who breathed his last on Monday, November 23, following post-COVID-19 related complications.
“Gogoi Ji was not just a leader of Assam, but he was a formidable Chief Minister,” said Gandhi while speaking with media at Srimanta Sankardeva Kalakshetra today. Gandhi added, “He was a national leader. He inspired us by bringing the people of Assam together, by bringing peace to the state. He did great service to Assam and he did tremendous service to India.”
According to Gandhi, Gogoi was a teacher-like figure for him, and that the 86-year-old leader was the one who explained to Gandhi what Assam is, its complexities, and its beauties, “like nobody could.”
The Congress leader went on to state that though Gaurav was Tarun’s son, he treated Gandhi the same way.
Gandhi reached Kalakshetra to bid adieu to Gogoi where the mortal remains of the Congress leader have been kept. Gandhi even visited the official residence of Gogoi and interacted with Dolly Gogoi.
- PM to campaign for BJP in poll-bound Meghalaya
- Why it isn’t surprising when the pope says being gay ‘isn’t a crime’
- Space sector associations from Indo-Pacific join hands to explore new opportunities
- What effect will lunar new year have on COVID spread in China?
- US industry urges FM to simplify direct and indirect taxes in India
- Bitcoin has shot up 50% since new year, but new lows may be ahead