Gangtok: Even as Gangtok people complained about the large gathering and violation of COVID-19 protocols and littering, an all-out brawl occurred between drunk citizens, later involving Traffic police as well, in Geyzing, the district capital of West Sikkim.
As seen in the video, it appears that a fight broke out between two factions of people during the Holi celebration. One individual is visibly seen lying on the floor, either in a drunk state or maybe knocked unconscious in a fight.
The Traffic police initially tried to pacify the individuals. But then, one traffic cop kicked a drunk person lying on the floor. Later, another traffic cop hurled a tight slap, knocking out another citizen. The fight then ensued between traffic cops and the citizens, who were heard crying “How can a police hit in such a manner publicly, clad in uniform?”
The video of the incident has been circulating on social media. Speaking with EastMojo, West District Superintendent of Police Tashi Wangyal stated, “It is a sad incident that happened in Geyzing Bazar. It is clear that these individuals were drunk. The regular cops were in a different location trying to pacify another section of the crowd in a similarly drunk state. As to why the traffic police had to hit the individuals, the matter is under investigation. We will ensure that all involved in the incident will be properly questioned before laying out a verdict on it.”
- Making NE a strong economic zone important: Meghalaya CM
- Meghalaya home minister allays fears regarding HNLC diktat
- Delhi residents can now check real-time availability of burial, cremation sites
- More rain in store for Bengal; deluge likely in Darjeeling, Kalimpong
- Budding athletes from NE to get unique Diet scholarship
- Assam Cabinet approves measures to improve power connectivity