Imphal: The titular king of Manipur, Iningthou Leishemba Sanajaoba, on Wednesday was sworn in as a Member of Parliament at Rajya Sabha in New Delhi. Of the 61 members, 45 newly elected ones took oath as members of the upper house.
Dressed in royal traditional attire, the Maharaja of Manipur took the oath in his Manipuri language and vowed to safeguard the Indian Constituency by taking the name of Lord Sanamahi, Pakhangba and Govinda.
As per reports, Rajya Sabha chairperson M Venkaiah Naidu administered the oath taking ceremony which was held inside the Rajya Sabha chambers.
A BJP candidate, Sanajaoba won the lone seat of Rajya Sabha by defeating Congress candidate T Mangibabu with two votes on June 22.
The titular king of Manipur contested the RS election despite protests by various valley-based civil society organisations and warned him of abdication from kingship if he contests the poll.
However, after he was elected as RS member, there were no reports of protest against him.
- Afghanistan’s key Taliban leaders studied at Pakistan madrassa
- Tripura CM directs review of UAPA charges in Panisagar violence
- ‘Be vigilant’, WHO tells Southeast Asia countries amid case surge, new variant
- Opposition unity at stake as Cong, TMC cross swords over leadership
- GMCH doctors strike against delay in NEET PG Counseling
- Cong demands revising COVID-19 death toll in Assam