Aizawl: Mizoram sports minister Robert Romawia Royte on Saturday said that the state will soon have a FIFA-certified football ground at Kolasib town near the Assam border.
Royte paid a visit and inspected the on-going construction of Sports Authority of India (SAI) sports academy at Kolasib’s Saidan and laying of artificial turf at the football ground there. He was accompanied by supply minister and Kolasib assembly constituency MLA, K. Lalrinliana and Serlui constituency MLA Lalrinsanga Ralte.
Royte said that the artificial turf, which is being laid at SAI academy ground at Saidan was certified by FIFA and is on the verge of completion.
“Mizoram will soon have its first FIFA certified football field,” he said, adding that apart from football, three more disciplines will be added at the under construction SAI sports academy at Saidan in Kolasib.
He expressed hope that the football field will greatly benefit sportspersons in the state.
The sports minister also visited Kawnpui and Vairengte in Kolasib district and inspected the feasibility of new sports infrastructure and upgrade of the existing infrastructure there. He said that the existing football ground at Kawnpui will be upgraded to a standard ground by laying artificial turf.
He inspected the feasibility of the standard basketball court and standard volleyball court at Kawnpui, which are in the pipeline.
Royte said that the Mizo National Front (MNF) led state government would set up sports training centre at Vairengte on the Mizoram-Assam border in order to fulfill its pre-poll promise.
Royte, who also holds the tourism portfolio, said that the government is mulling to revive the construction of a tourist lodge at Kawnpui, which has been abandoned.
- Watch: Meghalaya children fall sick after eating ice cream
- Develop ALGs to start fixed-wing flight services in Arunachal: CM to Centre
- Tokyo logs record 5,042 new COVID-19 cases as infections surge amid Olympic Games
- Arunachal: Centre okays memorial for jawan who killed 79 Chinese soldiers in 1962 war
- Assam Gorkhas won’t be tried and prosecuted under the Citizenship Act
- Nagaland Assembly concerned over school ‘occupied’ by Assam Police 14 yrs ago