Aizawl: The ruling Congress in Mizoram on Wednesday announced the list of 40 candidates for the upcoming single-phase assembly elections to be held on November 28. In the 40-seat assembly, incumbent CM Lal Thanhawla will contest from two constituencies — Champai South and Serchhip.
Mukul Wasnik, Congress general secretary in charge of the central election committee, announced the candidates for the party on Wednesday.
In the upcoming polls, the Congress is looking to retain power in one of its last remaining bastions in the Northeast, while the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is looking to make inroads into the hill state.
For the elections, the process of filing nominations will start from November 2 and the last date to file nominations is November 9.
Earlier, the BJP had announced its list of 13 candidates as the saffron party decided to go solo in the upcoming elections.
- Protests over landfill site in West Jaintia Hills prompts govt action
- Online portal in employment exchanges among 4 govt initiatives launched by Assam CM
- Facebook puts Instagram for kids on hold after pushback
- Guwahati pedals for change with Mountain Bike race
- Bharat bandh fails to evoke much response in Tripura
- Meghalaya entrepreneur receives special gift from CM Sangma