Imphal: President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Padma Shri to Oinam Bembem Devi, the fourth-highest civilian honour, for her contribution to the field of sports on Monday.
The prestigious award ceremony was held at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
The official Twitter handle of the President of India tweeted, “President Kovind presents Padma Shri to Ms Oinam Bembem Devi for sports. She is the former captain of the Indian women football team and is also known as ‘Durga of Indian football’.”
Congratulating on receiving the prestigious award, Chief Minister N Biren Singh also tweeted. “Congratulations to Oinam Bembem Devi, the Durga of Indian Football, on receiving the Padma Shri Award. It is truly a moment of pride for all of us in Manipur. May you continue to inspire the young girls and boys to pursue their dreams,” Singh added.
This year, a total of 119 Padma awards were conferred on various personalities in recognition for their achievements and contributions in their fields of activities or disciplines.
- Manipur: MLTR set Imphal stage on fire with popular numbers
- Reverse migration to border areas need of the hour: Arunachal CM
- Do not approve of firing on civilians: Assam CM
- Tripura piggery owners yet to be compensated for ASF mass-culling
- Mizoram CM visits aspirational Mamit district, inspects projects
- Assam school boys assault pregnant teacher over ‘complaint’ to parents