In another major achievement by the state referred to as the ‘power house of sports’, seven Manipur footballers have been selected for the national team which will take part in the prestigious AFC Under 23 Asian Cup in Uzbekistan in June 2022.
Footballers Dheeraj Moirangthem, Mohammad Nawaz, Bikash Yumnam, Hormipam Ruivah, Suresh Wangjam, Amarjit Kiyam and Jeakson Thounaojam are among 28 players under the age of 23 who got selected from Manipur for the Asian Cup.
Former Minister of Education, Labour & Employment, Manipur, Th. Radheshyam took to Twitter to make the announcement about the qualifiers.
Congratulating the boys on their selection in a Facebook post, Manipur CM N Biren Singh also wrote, “Wonderful news!!! I am really very proud of you all. You all make us feel very proud.”
The AFC U-23 Asian Cup is an international football tournament held by the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and this tournament is held every two years.
The first edition was initially held in 2013, its qualification matches in 2012, but the finals tournament was postponed to be played in January 2014 due to the 2013 EAFF East Asian Cup.
- Promise Day 2023: Messages and wishes to send your loved ones
- Assam: Guwahati’s air quality slips into ‘poor’ category
- Surrogate mother may not be genetically related to child born: Centre to SC
- World’s first environmental clean-up happened 400 million years ago
- JAC seeks clarity on ‘Sikkimese’ definition after SC’s revised order
- 10 Indians stuck in remote areas of quake-hit Turkey, but safe: MEA