Agartala: Veteran advocate Kalyan Narayan Bhattacharjee has been appointed as the new Lokayukta in Tripura. He has been appointed to the post for three years with effect from July 1.
The Lokayukta Act has been in force in Tripura since 2008. Bhattacharjee is the third Lokayukta in the state and the first to hold the post as a lawyer.
In 2012, the first Lokayukta was appointed in Tripura. Former Gujarat and Guwahati High Court judge Pradeep Kumar Sarkar was the first Lokayukta in the state. He had discharged his responsibility till 2018.
He was replaced that year by Subal Baidya, a former judge of the Calcutta and Andhra Pradesh High Courts. He resigned from the post in 2020. Since then, the post of Lokayukta was lying vacant.
Recently, chief minister Biplab Kumar Deb, in consultation with the Speaker of the Tripura Legislative Assembly and the Leader of the Opposition, recommended the name of senior lawyer Bhattacharjee to be appointed as the new Lokayukta to the governor.
On July 1, the general administration of the Tripura government issued a notification appointing Bhattacharjee as Lokayukta for three years.
- Egypt’s president likely to be chief guest for Republic Day celebrations
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever reclaims myth of an African utopia
- Voices still missing from online activism
- Sharp butt pains & more: 5 lesser-known menstrual cycle symptoms
- Outdated Covid travel advisories, conflicting norms causing inconvenience to people
- Making efforts to protect rights of baby in foster care in Germany: MEA