Imphal: Two women pugilists from Manipur, Thokchom Sanamacha Chanu and Naorem Babyrojina Chanu, were among the seven Indian boxers who bagged gold medals at the AIBA Youth World Boxing Championships 2021 in Kielce, Poland on Thursday.
The historic victory of the women boxers has once again proved the might of Manipur in sports, particularly in boxing.
Babyrojisana secured gold with a comfortable 5-0 win against European junior champion Valeria Linkova of Russia in the 51 kg final on the penultimate day in the women’s category at the prestigious AIBA championships.
The Asian youth champion of 2019 was among the seven women pugilists who gave sensational performances by finishing on the top of the podium. Earlier, the multiple international tournament winner won the women’s flyweight (45kg) at the Ulaanbaatar 2019 Asian Youth Boxing Championships (ASBC) held in November last year.
Similarly, another woman boxer from Manipur, who was trained at Mary Kom’s academy in Imphal, Sanamacha, gave impressive attacks in all the rounds and outperformed Dana Diday of Kazakhstan by 5-0 in the 75 kg final.
Taking to his social media handle, Manipur chief minister N Biren Singh, while congratulating the two women pugilists from the state: “I am proud of your incredible achievements.”
This year, the 10-day biennial event witnessed high competition in the presence of 414 boxers from 52 nations.
- Manipur: How dumping sites turned into street libraries in Tamenglong
- Tripura: Mysterious death of a family, Opposition leader demands probe
- Meghalaya: George Lyngdoh resigns from TMC citing ‘personal reasons’
- Manipur’s biggest achievement in 7 decades: Biren Singh on peace pact with UNLF
- Now, you can fly directly to Bangkok from Guwahati
- ‘Animal’ review: A monstrous attack on feminism, wokeism