Cardiologist Dr Sanjay Upreti, the ‘hero’ doctor who was stabbed on December 14 and passed away at the age of 45, has been bestowed with full State honours.
A man identified as Thinlay Bhutia stabbed the cardiologist at the STNM Hospital while he was attempting to save attendant staff Kala Chettri. Dr Upreti was stabbed near his crotch during the attack, and his left leg was amputated as a result.
Dr Sanjay Upreti breathed his last at 3 am on Friday at the Neotia Hospital in Siliguri.
The state Home Department issued a notification which stated that Dr Sanjay Upreti’s funeral would he arranged with full state honours as a mark of respect for his valiant act of bravery.
Dr Upreti’s funeral took place today in Mamring, Sikkim, where Chief Minister Prem Singh Golay, along with his cabinet of Ministers, was also present.
The funeral was attended by a large number of doctors, health workers, health department officials, well-wishers, and family members.
Former ministers from the Sikkim Democratic Front, legislators and spokespersons from the current Sikkim Bharatiya Janata Party, and many more leaders from regional parties were in attendance.
Representatives from the Sikkim Progressive Youth Forum (SPYF), along with its general secretary Rupen Karki, were also present.
Also read | Sikkim mourns Cardiologist Dr Sanjay Upreti
- Coffee doesn’t give you extra energy. Here’s what happens instead
- Expecting slowdown in Indian economy to 6.1 pc in 2023: IMF
- India condemns terror attack in Pakistan’s Peshawar city
- Scientists working to increase shelf life of millets-based products
- What to do if your kid is biting, hitting and kicking?
- Assam: GP Singh takes charge as DGP, pledges to make force citizen-centric