Gangtok: With the rest of the Northeast continues to witness extreme heat, Sikkim is facing torrential rains for the past few days.
Across the state, various roads have been blocked or cut off by landslides and there have been isolated incidents of boulders falling. One such incident in Bikmat, South Sikkim, claimed the lives of two individuals, as the boulders smashed a car.
The Sikkim rains have also dealt a devastating blow to state farmers who were close to harvesting their crops. Many farmers have complained how the entire years’ harvest had been ruined after rains flattened standing crops.
Also, commuters after the Dasain festival, including tourists coming to Sikkim, reported a landslide at 20th Mile near Rangpo, East Sikkim, resulting in people taking alternative routes to reach Gangtok.
The Indian Meteorological Department, Gangtok, said, “A Low Pressure Area now lies over Bihar and neighbourhood. Strong southerly wind from Bay of Bengal likely to prevail over Sub-Himalayan West Bengal & Sikkim during 19th to 20th October, 2021. Enhance rainfall activity is very likely to continue over the districts of Sikkim during 19th to 20th October, 2021.”
- Surrogate mother may not be genetically related to child born: Centre to SC
- World’s first environmental clean-up happened 400 million years ago
- JAC seeks clarity on ‘Sikkimese’ definition after SC’s revised order
- 10 Indians stuck in remote areas of quake-hit Turkey, but safe: MEA
- Assam: Chenga MLA Ashraful Hussain accused of kidnapping, harassing girl
- Meghalaya 2023: Crowd throngs DC office during nomination scrutiny