Gangtok: Sikkim Manipal University (SMU), Gangtok has announced full fee waiver as scholarship to its students who have lost the sole earning member of their family to COVID-19. The entire fees of such students will be waived off across all academic programmes and courses for the remaining duration of study, said officials.
SMU pro-chancellor Lt Gen (Dr) MD Venkatesh said: “By this decision of SMU of providing full fee waiver, we hope to give some relief to our students who have unfortunately lost their sole earning member of the family and suffered the consequences of this COVID pandemic. We sincerely hope that their financial difficulties are mitigated to an extent.”
SMU vice-chancellor Lt Gen (Dr) Rajan S Grewal added that SMU, in alignment with the ethos and values of The Manipal Education & Medical Group, earnestly endeavours to support students who face difficulties and hardships.
“This scholarship should enable our bereaved students to complete their studies, and reduce their challenges, as a consequence of the unfortunate demise of their sole earning parent due to COVID infection. Concerted efforts will be made by Team SMU to prepare and enable these students to envision a bright future in academics and their careers,” Grewal said.
He further hoped that with this initiative, SMU hopes to sensitise its students to be empathetic, humane and caring members of society.
- No visible sign of spending of Centre’s package for tea workers: TMC union
- Odisha health minister shot at by cop in Jharsuguda dist, accused held
- Assam govt to make docu on Patharughat peasant uprising: CM
- New Songs Sunday: Pray It Away, You Only Love Me & more
- NGT refrains from imposing Rs 1,000 crore fine on Assam
- State to file review petition in SC to expunge ‘foreigner’ tag on Sikkimese Nepali