Gangtok: The State Election Commission in Sikkim on Thursday announced elections to 51 municipal wards and nagar panchayats will be held on March 31.
The P S Tamang-headed Sikkim Krantikari Morcha (SKM) government amended the Sikkim Municipalities Act, 2007 in September last, which does not allow any person to contest polls with the direct or indirect support of any political party.
The state’s Election Commissioner Nim Lhamu Ethenpa said, the last date for filing nominations is March 8, scrutiny of documents will take place on March 9 and the last date for withdrawal of the nominations is March 13.
Polls will be held for 19 wards in Gangtok Municipal Corporation, 5 in Singtam nagar panchayat, 5 in Jorethang nagar panchayat, 5 in Rangpo nagar panchayat, 7 in Namchi nagar panchayat, 5 in Geyzing nagar panchayat and 5 in Mangan nagar panchayat.
Counting of votes will be taken up on April 3.
Last time, the Himalayan state went to the municipal polls was in 2015 while the panchayat polls were held in 2017.
The tenure of municipal bodies in Sikkim had ended on October 16, 2020, but the election was delayed due to the pandemic.
The state government had appointed administrators for all urban bodies to look after day-to-day functioning during the interim period.
- Manipur: Myanmar national held with drugs worth over Rs 500 crore
- Assam: Sale of cheap helmets skyrocket amid ‘new’ helmet rules
- Assam govt forms committee to develop Unicode for Assamese script
- Mon killings: Nagas in Delhi show solidarity; seek AFSPA repeal
- Armed forces’ perseverance, courage are outstanding: PM Modi
- Assam: Two locals thrashed to death by insurgents in Dima Hasao