Guwahati: Hibu Tamang, Joint Commissioner of Police, Special Police Unit for North-Eastern Region (SPUNER), has nominated 46 youths as Delhi Police North East Representatives (DPNERs) for the year 2022-2023.
As many as 46 youths from eight Northeastern states and Darjeeling district have been nominated as DPNERs for the next one year.
Hibu also handed over identity cards to those nominated as DPNERs in a meeting held at SPUNER Conference Hall in New Delhi on Saturday.
The Special Police Unit for North-Eastern Region is a dedicated police unit for Northeastern, Gorkha and Ladakhi communities in the national capital, which has taken up the task of providing safety and security in Delhi-NCR region.
After the infamous murder case of Arunachal Pradesh’s Nido Tania in Delhi, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) had in 2014 constituted a committee under the chairmanship of MP Bezbaruah, a member of the North-Eastern Council, which led to the establishment of the SPUNER unit of Delhi Police.
The DPNERs will act as a catalyst between the public and the police in providing security and safety to people of the northeastern region.
- Sikkim parties demand removal of immigrant tag on Nepalis in SC verdict
- India repatriates 17 Pakistani prisoners: Pak High Commission
- Over 4 lakh voters added to Assam’s electoral roll
- Situation along eastern border with China stable but unpredictable: GOC-in-C
- Pathaan: Total worldwide collection crosses Rs 200 cr mark
- Meghalaya: 50 BJP workers join Congress to support PN Syiem, defeat BJP’s AL Hek