Shillong: Several villages in Ri-Bhoi District were affected following heavy rainfall and gusty winds on Thursday.
Visuals emerged on social media of trees uprooted and rooftops blown away. Public and private property were also damaged at many places. So far there has been no reports of any injuries till the filing of this report.
The areas which has been badly hit by the storm include Umsning areas, Bhoirymbong and Umroi.
Earlier, East Khasi Hills Deputy Commissioner had issued an advisory after the India Meteorological Department (IMD) forecast thunderstorms, accompanied by lightning and very heavy rainfall.
The statement stated, “This is to inform all public that as per IMD weather forecast, thunderstorm accompanied with lightning and heavy to very heavy rainfall is likely at isolated places in East Khasi Hills District on the 14th & 15th April, 2022.”
People are required to take the following necessary precautions and extra care to avoid any incidences: –
1. Ensure safe keeping of all objects such as lumber piles, loose tin sheets, loose bricks, garbage cans, sign boards, etc., which might be blown away in strong wind.
2. Switch off all electrical appliances like electric iron, mobile charger, television set, etc., if the lightning persists.
3. People are required to take extra care during heavy rainfall as there is a likelihood of flash flood, especially in areas near rivers and streams.
4. People are requested not to go near the waters or walk through moving water and stay away from streams, drains, culverts, rivers and waterfalls, etc. Currents can be deceptive and shallow, fast moving water can knock you off your feet.
5. Don’t drive through flooded areas and stay away from electric poles or power lines to avoid electrocution.
6. Do not venture into streams, rivers and waterfalls.
- World Sports Journalist Day 2022: History, significance and more
- On World UFO Day, a look at UFO ‘sightings’ in Northeast
- From Greenland shark to seafaring cockatoo: Meet 5 remarkably old animals
- Pak steeply hikes petrol prices under deal with IMF to revive bailout programme
- Meghalaya: Deputy CM meets protesting teachers, assures support
- Murmu has better chances to win prez polls after Maha development: Mamata