Imphal: In yet another boost for Janata Dal (United) Party, former Manipur Police officer Thounaojam Brinda, and businessman-turned-politician Arunkumar Thangjam joined the JD (U) on Sunday.
Soon after the BJP announced its list for 60 candidates, Arunkumar tendered his resignation from the primary membership of the Saffron party.
“I will no longer work for the BJP party in the ensuing state Assembly election 2022,” stated Arunkumar in his resignation letter submitted to BJP state chief. A few months ago, he had joined the BJP after quitting the Congress party, which he joined in 2020.
Thounaojam Brinda, the daughter-in-law of former chairman of the United National Liberation Front (UNLF) outfit, will contest from Yaiskul constituency represented by BJP minister Thokchom Satyabrata Singh.
Meanwhile, as per sources, BJP MLA Y Erabot Singh of Wangkhei constituency will be joining the National People’s Party (NPP) on Sunday evening.
Earlier this month, Khumukhcham Joykisan Singh, the MLA from Thangmeiband constituency, joined the Janata Dal (United) following his suspension from the Congress party.
After much speculation, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Sunday released the list of 60 candidates, including three women candidates, for the upcoming Manipur Legislative Assembly elections next month.
Chief Minister N Biren Singh will contest from his home assembly constituency Heingang, whereas minister Th Biswajit Singh will contest from the Thongju constituency.
- ‘Tar’ review: Cate Blanchett’s stellar performance marks the highlight
- Rupee may remain under depreciation pressure: Economic Survey
- Two from Manipur, one from Assam win Sunsilk Mega Miss North East 2022
- Notification issued for Nagaland elections, no nomination on Day 1
- From bad omen to treasured friends: how Hargila found home in Assam
- Eyeing KIYG gold, Arunachal lifter Markio Tario sets priorities right