Shillong: Unidentified miscreants vandalized a Kali idol in Themmawbah area of Shillong, prompting the police to launch an investigation into the matter, officials said on Monday.
The Kali idol inside the Loknath temple in Themmawbah area of the city was found vandalized early on Monday and the matter was brought to the notice of the district administration, they said.
A senior district police officer told PTI, “we have been informed of the matter. We have registered a case of vandalism and are investigating the issue.” While no one has been arrested as yet in the case, the senior police officer said that a thorough investigation is on to find the culprits involved in the criminal act.
BJP MP Rakesh Sinha condemned the incident.
“It’s unfortunate and unbecoming of inclusive culture: desecration of idol of Kali in Shillong. Culprits and brain behind it must be booked,” Sinha tweeted.
- Assam records biggest single day spike in COVID-19 cases
- Gene variant that protects against COVID-19 identified
- Unlikely people will live with masks on forever: Fauci on ‘new normal’
- Why T cell vaccines may be key to long-term immunity from COVID
- Wealth of India’s 10 richest can fund education of every child for 25 yrs: Study
- Bikaner-Guwahati Express derailment: Railways’ prompt action saves lives