Shillong: In a major finding which could boost the economy of Meghalaya, Oil India Limited (OIL) has found thermogenic gas reserve with high methane content in Dholai Malai village, under Mawsynram in East Khasi Hills District.
Following a visit and findings made by the OIL, Mawsynram MLA HM Shangpliang on Tuesday said he had first raised this in the recently-held Assembly Session that there was occurrence of hydrocarbon seepage in certain areas of his constituency.
The Congress MLA said on September 27, a senior team from OIL visited Dholai area to collect samples.
“They were led by the Myntri of Malai Sohmat Syiemship along with few other local guides. Yesterday, I got the good news that whatever they have collected has been found positive in the sense that there is good presence of thermogenic gas reserve in the area,” informed Shangpliang.
The area where the seepage was found lies close to the Indo-Bangladesh border, proximal to which is the Chhatak gas-field in the neighbouring country.
He further informed that they are sending a team to further study details relating to amount of deposits of gas reserve available in the area.
“They are also interested in the oil which is reported to have been found in areas of Telsora A & B and Umsohpieng village. Another team is coming to visit these three to four villages to collect oil samples,” Shangpliang said.
- Assam swimmer breaks 12-year national record in 100m butterfly
- Manipur celebrates Mera Houchongba, marks day of solidarity
- Meghalaya by-polls: Independent Esron Marweiñ says farmers his top priority
- NEIPDA calls for 48-hr petrol pump closure in Guwahati
- Flood: Central team visits Assam to assess damages; state seeks funds
- Priyanka Gandhi stopped by UP police from going to Agra, taken to police lines