Tinsukia: In what is seen as a major security breach, seven undertrial prisoners escaped from a jail in Arunachal Pradesh’s East Siang district on Sunday evening, prompting the police to launch a massive manhunt.
The prisoners who escaped have been identified as Abhijit Gogoi, Taro Hamam, Kalom Apang, Talum Panying, Subash Mondal, Raja Tayeng and Dani Gamlin.
Sources said the incident took place at around 6.30 pm when the lockup was opened for dinner. “The prisoners threw chilly powder and salt before blowing punches at the guards.”
“Five constables were injured in the attack, including head constable Rajesh Lego who sustained injuries on his head,” sources said, adding, “He was hit by the lock of the cell and his mobile phone was also snatched.”
The other injured security personnel have been identified as RK Kambhari, O. Taying, Tago Tatung and Tapi Tali.
Sources said the judicial jail located at Pasighat district headquarter, which is manned by 10 guards, including the 1st guard commander and 2nd guard commander, had 94 undertrial prisoners.
“Those who fled were notorious and involved in different crimes.”
Despite attempts to reach the deputy commissioner of East Siang Kimmy Singh and superintendent of police Sumit Kumar Jha, there has been no response so far. The story will be updated with more details.
- Assam: Police seize Yaba tablets worth Rs 1 crore in Karimganj, launch probe
- Inclusion of villages in Bodoland divides people, non-Bodos protest
- Recycled and uninspiring: Why ‘Pathaan’ is a yawn fest
- Shringla on Aizawl visit to review preparedness for G20 meeting
- BJP releases list of 48 candidates for Tripura Assembly polls
- Kid’s ‘rushed’ immune response behind Covid reinfection: Study