Guwahati: Assam finance minister Himanta Biswa Sarma shared a video on Friday, accusing All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF) supporters of chanting ‘Pakistan Zindabad’ while welcoming AIUDF chief Badruddin Ajmal at Silchar Airport on Thursday.
Sarma while sharing the video on Twitter, wrote: “Look at the brazenness of these fundamentalists anti-national people who are shouting PAKISTAN ZINDABAD while they welcome MP @BadruddinAjmal. This thoroughly exposes @INCIndia which is encouraging such forces by forging an alliance. We shall fight them tooth & nail. Jai Hind”
In October, AIUDF and the Congress had said they would contest Assam assembly elections together in 2021.
In the 44-second video, a man can be heard saying Pakistan Zindabad at around 3-second mark.
Rubbishing Sarma’s claims, AIUDF MLA Aminul Islam said, “It is clearly a conspiracy by Himanta Biswa Sarma. Not a single member of AIUDF will shout slogans on Pakistan Zindabad. We are a party under Indian democracy, our President is a Member of Parliament, and we work for Assam’s existence.”
Islam called it “a mere ploy by the BJP government to gain votes by attacking the two political parties” in the run-up to the 2021 state elections.
- Five more bodies recovered from avalanche site, 22 still missing: NIM
- Seven from Manipur selected for India U-17 women’s FIFA world cup team
- Pre-poll violence: Manipur CM hands over ex-gratia of Rs 10 lakh to families
- Active Covid cases dip to 32,282
- Assam: Hospital superintendent suspended over death of Majuli child artiste
- What is déjà vu? Psychologists are exploring this creepy feeling of having already lived through an experience before