Pentagon has formally released three unclassified videos taken by US Navy pilots that have circulated for years showing interactions with unidentified flying objects (UFO).
One of the videos shows an incident from 2004 while the other two were recorded in January 2015, according to a spokeswoman from the Department of Defence. The videos became public after they were first leaked online in 2007 and 2017, and the Navy also previously verified their authenticity.
“The declassification of the videos late Monday, one of which was taken in 2004 and the subsequent two taken in 2015, was meant to “clear up any misconceptions by the public on whether or not the footage that has been circulating was real, or whether or not there is more to the videos,” said the Pentagon statement.
“The U.S. Navy previously acknowledged that these videos circulating in the public domain were indeed Navy videos. After a thorough review, the department has determined that the authorized release of these unclassified videos does not reveal any sensitive capabilities or systems, and does not impinge on any subsequent investigations of military air space incursions by unidentified aerial phenomena.”
The 2004 incident occurred about 160 kilometres out in the Pacific where two fighter pilots on a routine training mission were dispatched to investigate unidentified aircraft that a Navy cruiser had been tracking for weeks.
The Navy pilots found a UFO about 40 feet long hovering about 50 feet above the water, and it began a rapid ascent as the pilots approached before quickly flying away and disappearing from their sight. “It accelerated like nothing I’ve ever seen,” one of the pilots told the media.
The two other videos of incidents in 2015 include footage of UFO moving rapidly through the air. In one, a UFO is seen racing through the sky and begins rotating in midair.