Imphal: Peaceful voting that was underway for the Inner Manipur parliamentary seat in the state was disrupted on Thursday following violence that erupted in a polling booth station number Kyamgei Muslim Makha Leikai of Imphal.
People who were stranded for a long time following malfunctioning of Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) got angry and stormed into the polling station destroying EVM and VVPAT machines.
In a shocking video that was recorded by some poling agents deployed in the station, it clearly shows irate people throwing stones and breaking into the poll booth forcefully despite being stopped by polling officials.
Meanwhile, security personnel who were deployed in the polling station, resorted quickly to firing blank shots in the air and lathi-charging in order to disperse the irate voters gathered at the poll booth.
Police personnel are carrying out an investigation over the matter and further details are awaited.
- Thousands more species at risk of extinction than recorded: study
- Why pseudo-secular ‘tukde-tukde gang ‘ wants to destroy judiciary, questions Rijiju
- Manipur: Tributes paid to martyrs on Patriots’ Day
- Thirty years on, why ‘The Satanic Verses’ remains so controversial
- Sikkim: I-day football ends in brawl between Tibetan special army, IRBn
- Meghalaya launches ‘Har Ghar Tiranga’ campaign