Agartala: The newly-set up Tripura Tea Development Corporation (TTDC) has decided to market tea produced in the state under the Tripureshwari Tea brand, a senior official said on Wednesday. TTDC is the nodal agency for growth of small tea plantation farmers in the state.
Talking to media persons, TTDC chairperson Santosh Saha said: “We have decided to market 100 gram and 50 gram packets of tea produced in Tripura under the brand name Tripureshwari Tea. The name has already been sanctioned by the Centre.”
A logo has also been prepared and sent to the Tea Board of India for it to get approved. As per Saha, steps would also be taken to ensure efficient marketing of Tripura tea. “Tripureshwari Tea would gain its place in the tea market and create a niche for itself like Assam Tea or Darjeeling Tea,” he said.
The TTDC is also looking forward to set up an auction market in the state to woo tea producers from neighbouring Assam and Bangladesh.
Tripura has 58 operational tea estates, among which 42 are individually owned, 13 are operated under cooperative societies and 3 are run by the TTDC.
Nearly 3,000 small tea growers also run their small tea estates with government support. As per the state’s estimates, 6,885 hectare is under tea cultivation in which 3.58 crore kg green tea leaf is produced annually.
Tea plantation in Tripura dates back from 1916 when it was introduced in the Hiracherra tea estate, now in Unakoti district.
- Nobel Prize in literature: Annie Ernaux – an uncompromising author who writes from experience
- Eid-e-Milad 2022: Wishes and greetings for your loved ones
- Fears of watered-down India-UK free trade pact amid visa row
- Assam: Cabinet nod for Rs 190 cr power purchase subsidy to avoid tariff hike
- BJP UP chief tells Rahul Gandhi to start ‘Congress Jodo Yatra’
- Assam: Purnima Devi Barman conferred with World Female Ranger Award