Aizawl: An unusual sight could be witnessed at the Tlangnuam football field on a sunny afternoon in Aizawl while the midday heat was soaring high. A game of cricket was being played by a group of girls competing in a junior T20 tournament.
Cricket and Mizoram are rarely, if ever, mentioned in the same sentence. Football clearly remains the most favourite spectator sport here and in Lalremsiami, the state has also found a potential hockey icon.
But even locals may struggle to name Mizoram cricketers.
That said, it isn’t as if it is an alien sport for the locals. While cricket has been played by the people of Mizoram since the 1970s, the sport’s popularity has grown in small waves compared to the more popular games......
- Meghalaya: Over 3,000 people to join Sohra intn’l half-marathon
- Could online abuse drive women out of political life?
- Assam workshop highlights DNA tech’s role in wildlife crime investigation
- Assam: Rice as a peace offering in India’s human-elephant conflict capital
- Nagaland: Three NSCN-K (Niki) cadres held with weapons cache
- Are sexual harassment victims ‘silenced’ at Tripura University?