Aizawl: Outgoing Mizoram chief secretary Lalnunmawia Chuaungo on Monday sworn in as the chief information officer of the state. Chief Minister Zoramthanga administered the oath of office to Chuaungo during the swearing-in function held at Assam conference hall here.
Born in 1962, Chuaungo joined the Indian Administrative Service in 1987 under the Gujarat cadre.
He was dragged into controversy before the assembly polls in 2018 when he was removed by the Election Commission following a complaint filed against him by the then state Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) SB Shashank that he had directly interfered in the poll process. Chuango was then the principal secretary of Mizoram home department.
The removal of Chuaungo and the alleged ‘pro Bru’ stance by Shashank had irked the state government, political parties and civil societies.
In November 2018 a state-wide protest was staged by NGO Coordination Committee, a conglomerate of major civil societies and student organizations, which compelled the ECI to remove Shashank.Chuaungo was posted as the chief secretary of Mizoram in February 2019 on inter-cadre deputation.
When he returned to the state to assume CS office in, he was accorded a hero welcome. Chuaungo had voluntarily retired on October 31.
- Can sports innovate without losing the romance?
- Delhi HC sends to SC plea seeking uniform min marriage age for men, women
- Coffee doesn’t give you extra energy. Here’s what happens instead
- Expecting slowdown in Indian economy to 6.1 pc in 2023: IMF
- India condemns terror attack in Pakistan’s Peshawar city
- Scientists working to increase shelf life of millets-based products