Shillong: In a major political development, Mawphlang MLA late SK Sunn’s son Eugeneson Lyngdoh is going to contest the bypolls from 24 Mawphlang constituency.
Thursday witnessed hundreds of people gathered at the late MLA’s residence to show their support to back Eugeneson Lyngdoh, who is also a famous football player.
This development comes after the Election Commission of India recently announced the dates to by-polls to be held on October 30.
SK Sunn had succumbed to Covid-19 on September 10, 2021, which deeply affected the people of the Constituency. Members of the Meghalaya Legislative Assembly were also in a state of shock following the news of his demise.
Eugeneson is a well-known football player and has represented not only the state but also India. Eugene is the second most-expensive football player in the Indian Super League (ISL) 2017 Edition.
Meanwhile, UDP President Metbah Lyngdoh arrived at the late MLA’s residence to officially make an announcement.
Metbah Lyngdoh was accompanied by party leaders including Home Minister Lahkmen Rymbui, UDP general secretary Jemino Mawthoh, Khasi Hills Autonomous District Council (KHADC) Chief Executive Member (CEM) Titosstar Chyne and several others.
It may be mentioned that late Sunn, who won the 2018 polls as an Independent candidate, later became an associate member of the UDP.
Eugeneson was felicitated with the UDP scarf amid loud cheers of “Ha ka bom” which roughly translates to “support the drum”. The UDP’s party symbol is a drum.
- Two elephants killed in Assam after collision with train
- Meghalaya leaders weigh in on emergence of TMC in state
- Fans to sue Min Yoongi? ARMY say he deserves ‘jail time’
- Mischief makers misleading people: Nagaland CM on vaccines hesitancy
- Nagaland Lottery December 1: Check Dear Torsa Morning lottery result
- Nagaland 59th Statehood Day: CM hopes for early soln to Naga issue