Imphal: In a rare case, doctors have successfully treated a pregnant woman with breast cancer and delivered a healthy baby boy through Caesarian Section at the Babina Cancer Hospital, American Oncology Institute in Imphal.
Speaking to media persons during a press conference, Dr (Brig) AK Dhar, medical oncologist, said that a 42-year-old woman was detected with a breast lump at 16 weeks of pregnancy. She was operated in a city hospital and then came the real test as the tumour demanded chemotherapy to save both the mother and the baby, he added.
This was her first pregnancy, informed the doctor.
According to Dr Dhar, the woman was referred to department of medical oncology at Babina Cancer Hospital for further treatment.
To save both the mother and the baby all at once is a high-risk. The doctors, however, took the charge and explained safe administration of chemotherapy under strict monitoring of both mother and foetus.
The lady underwent four cycles of chemotherapy successfully, which controlled her cancer. Moreover, the team gradually took her to safety and a healthy male baby was delivered through C-section in second week of this month, it said.
The couple also expressed their gratitude to the hospital and said that they feel really fortunate that they were able to be at the best facility, with the best doctors and staff in the state.
Waiting for missing Arunachal boy’s return: Upper Siang DC
- 11 dead as powerful 6.8 magnitude earthquake jolts Pakistan, Afghanistan
- Not much impact of untimely rains on crops, states assessing damage: Tomar
- Strong tremors jolt Delhi-NCR, other parts of north India
- Assam govt may pay gap between old new pension schemes: CM
- Former Sikkim MLA Prem Lal Subba no more
- Arunachal Christian Forum criticizes ban on public healing programs