Imphal: Olympic silver medalist Saikhom Mirabai Chanu on Saturday took charge as an Additional Superintendent of Police (sports) in the Manipur police department in the presence of Chief Minister N Biren Singh at his official residence.
Taking to his Twitter handle, CM Biren Singh said, “Our nation’s pride Olympian silver medalist Mirabai Chanu has taken charge as the additional superintendent of police (sports), Manipur Police, and called on me at my office today.”
The Indian weightlifter from Manipur’s Kakching district, Mirabai Chanu gave the country a perfect start at the Tokyo Olympics 2020 by winning the nation’s first weightlifting silver in the 49 kg category.
While expressing her gratitude, the Olympian said, “This is one of the happiest days of my life because our chief minister and people of the state have recognised and respected my hard work and efforts put on for the Olympic medal and given this position as the ASP of our state police department.”
It is every athlete’s dream to get a medal for the country and the state, and also to get a stable job, she added.
- Manipur: 22 Myanmar nationals detained at Moreh
- Manipur reports 411 fresh cases of COVID-19, three deaths
- Unvaccinated people, kids below 15 yrs not allowed at R-Day parade
- Assam reports 6,118 new COVID-19 cases
- India reports 3.06 lakh new COVID-19 cases
- Ex-Japan PM Shinzo Abe honoured with Netaji Award