Imphal, Sep 22 (PTI) Manipur Police arrested one active cadre of proscribed insurgent outfit People’s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak-Progressive (PREPAK-Pro) from Imphal West district and seized huge IED materials from the militant’s possession, a senior officer said.
Superintendent of Police, Imphal West, S Ibomcha Singh said that police arrested the militant from Lairikyengbam Makha Leikai area under the jurisdiction of Lamphel police station of the district on Tuesday.
The arrested person has been identified as Naoroibam Joyshankar alias Loyumba alias Khougang, 37, son of N Inaocha Singh of Lairikyrngbam Makha Leikai, Imphal West.
Police seized huge improvised explosive device (IED) materials from the possession of the arrested insurgent including one set of IED fitted in a tin of fish cane, one airgun rifle, four PEK cakes, three electronic circuits, one remote control device, three detonators, batteries, soldering equipment used in assembling IED bombs and a mobile phone, the SP said.
During interrogation, the arrested militant disclosed that he was involved in an IED attack at Manipur Chief Minister’s bungalow gate in 2013 and also a restaurant in Imphal, the SP said.
He revealed that he joined the proscribed outfit PREPAK (Pro) in 2009 through one Herojit from Salanthong and got basic military training for three months at Ngayensong, Myanmar, said Ibomcha.
The PREPAK (Pro) militant had threatened one person living at Lairikyengbam Makha Leikai area by lobbying two handgrenades, which exploded at a paddy field near his house in the early hours of Tuesday, Singh said.
The arrested PREPAK (Pro) militant along with the seized IED materials was handed over to Lamphel police station in Manipur’s Imphal West district for further investigation and legal action, the SP added.
- Meghalaya: TUR files defamation case against FB page, its admin
- Former US President Bill Clinton recovering from infection in hospital
- Rajasthan teacher held for raping 11-yr-old after girl dials child helpline for assistance
- Fuel price hike in Meghalaya: Local cabbies, residents face challenges
- Chhattisgarh: One killed, 16 injured as SUV runs over people during Durga idol procession
- JEE-Advanced 2021: Mridul Agarwal from Delhi zone bags top rank; Kavya Chopra tops among females