Imphal: After two long years, Olympic Silver-winning weightlifter Saikhom Mirabai Chanu finally came home to her mother’s embrace and glorious smile on Monday.
Chanu reached the Tulihan Imphal Airport at 1:45 pm and was received by a hero’s welcome by Manipur chief minister N Biren Singh, along with Youth Affairs & Sports Minister Letpao Haokip.
It was a stampede-like situation as Chanu stepped out of the airport’s arrival terminal to get in to a vehicle along with the CM. Despite curfew and COVID-19 protocols in place, hundreds of people thronged to the airport, including Chanu’s family, her neighbourhood, fans and supporters to give her a rousing welcome.
Hundreds of people came out of their homes onto the streets along the Imphal Airport road to greet Chanu with applause.
Later, a formal felicitation programme was held at the City Convention Hall in Imphal’s Palace Compound, which was also attended by Manipur CM N Biren Singh, Deputy CM Yumnam joykumar, Minister Th Biswarjit, Minister S Rajen, YAS minister Keypad Haokip, Manipur Olympic Association Prez MLA Th Radheyshyam.
During felicitation, the Manipur CM officially handed over the appointment letter for Chanu as the Additional SP (Sports) in Manipur Police. The CM also handed over a cheque of Rs 1 crore. The Youth Affairs & Sport Minister handed over Rs 10 lakh to Mirabai Chanu for becoming the world record holder in clean & jerk and Rs three lakh by State Education Minister for her achievements.
During the ceremony, Mirabai gave the credit for her success to the people of Manipur, her family and her coach, who trained her to reach this level.
- Assam Speaker in Arunachal to learn about National e-Vidhan (NeVA) project
- Mangalyan: ISRO spacecraft made for 6 months completes 7 years in orbit
- NEET syllabus: Don’t treat doctors as football in power game, warns SC
- Nagaland: Hand over derelict shopping complex to entrepreneurs, says RPP
- A megacomet is headed towards our solar system. Should we be worried?
- Two girls gang raped inside cyber cafe in UP