Imphal: Sonia Gandhi has directed AICC in-charge of Manipur, Bhakta Charan Das, to oversee the ongoing political situation in Manipur after Manipur Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) President Govindas Konthoujam submitted his resignation.
Bhakta Charan Das is likely to reach Imphal tomorrow to meet MPCC leaders. Following Konthoujam’s resignation, the political circles in the state are abuzz with speculations that he and 10 Congress MLAs could join the BJP.
This news comes even as Congress waits for the Supreme Court judgment on a petition filed against the disqualification of 12 MLAs of the BJP-led Govt from Legislative assembly regarding the appointment of ‘Parliamentary Secretaries.
Manipur Congress had earlier approached Governor Nejma Heptulla seeking disqualification of the 12 MLAs of the Coalition Govt on account of holding the position of parliamentary secretaries, which qualified as ‘office of profit’ after the HC ruling.
Meanwhile, the BJP Manipur Pradesh leader has said they are aware of this new development within Congress only from media reports. At the time of filing this report, there was no official confirmation regarding the same.
- NEUFC’s disappointing run continues as side loses to Chennaiyin FC
- The new Indian-origin CEO of Twitter, Parag Agrawal
- Iran nuclear talks to resume in Vienna amid muted hopes
- Sikkim’s Tholung Monastery revives 233-year-old Khamsel tradition after 9 years
- Dravid gives Rs 35K to groundsmen for preparing sporting pitch
- Bodies of COVID-19 victims ‘rotting’ in Bengaluru hospital for over one year