Imphal: In a new milestone for Indian Railways, the trial run of a passenger train from Silchar railway station in Assam to Vaingaichunpao in Manipur’s Tamenglong district, which is about 11 km from Jiribam in the hill district, was successfully conducted on Friday.
As per reports, the Silchar-Vaingaichunpao broad gauge line is expected to be formally inaugurated by the railway minister soon.
The passenger train — a Rajdhani Express — stopped briefly at Jiribam railway station where officials accompanying the train along with locals honoured the train and hosted the national flag accompanied by the national anthem, an official said.
Speaking to media persons, Northeast Frontier (NF) Railway senior public relations officer Nripen Bhattacharya said that the broad gauge train service was extended up to Vaingaichunpao railway station and the passenger train service from Vaingaichunpao to Silchar will start very soon.
The extension of train service between Vaingaichunpao and Silchar will be highly beneficial to Manipur, apart from enabling the people of the state for travelling to other parts of the country.
The construction of the Vaingaichunpao-Imphal railway line is also under construction, mainly tunnelling, to complete the longest railway tunnel near Imphal, the official said.
Editor’s note: An earlier version of the story said this is the first such passenger train service till Vaingaichunpao railway station. That was a mistake and the same has been removed from the story.
- Meghalaya: CM transfers Rs 30 cr to 60k farm households under FOCUS+
- Shillong-based media org launches comics at Comic Con Bengaluru
- Meghalaya: CM Sangma increases honorarium for Anganwadi workers
- Mizoram govt to set up an agricultural product marketing committee
- Assam: A nail-biting finish to Servo Brainjam Quiz Fest 2022
- Mizoram: Schemes implementation not up to mark, says Union Minister