On Sunday, as many as 170 COVID-19 norm violators, including those who failed to wear face masks, did not maintain social distancing in public places and spitted in public places, were detained as preventive measures to check the spread of the deadly coronavirus in the state.
The police released them later after giving stern warning. The department also collected Rs 44,200 as fine from the offenders as per law.
Those who violate the guidelines and restrictions shall be dealt with strong legal action under the National Disaster Management Act, 2005 and other appropriate laws, said the police.
So far, the police across 16 districts in the state have collected Rs 2,08,88,860 as fine from 1,41,768 offenders and detained 51,850 vehicles in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic.
Thoubal tops the list with a collection of Rs 60,93,070 as fine and detention of 65,895 violators in the district till date.
- Meghalaya 2023: Over Rs 23 lakh cash, alcohol seized in Garo Hills
- Guwahati: Sahitya Sabha, GMDA at loggerheads over Chachal land
- Blood test can detect Alzheimer’s 3.5 years before diagnosis
- Mizoram: 3 killed as Khawzawl road construction site caves in
- Mizoram: Several local leaders quit MNF in Siaha
- The seven important nutrients for mental health