On Sunday, as many as 175 COVID-19 violators, including those not wearing face masks, maintaining social distancing in public places and spitting in public places, were detained as preventive measures against the spread of the novel coronavirus in the state.
They were later released after stern warning, said the police.
Meanwhile, fines amounting to Rs 56,400 were also collected from the offenders, the police said.
Those who violate the guidelines and restrictions amid the COVID-19 pandemic shall be dealt with strong legal action under the National Disaster Management Act, 2005 and other appropriate laws, said the police.
So far, police across 16 districts in the state have fined 1,40,611 offenders and detained 51,850 vehicles and collected Rs 2,0498,960 in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions.
- World Rhino Day: Assam burns largest Rhino horns’ stockpile to bust myths
- Manipur: 22-year-old in jail for ‘Modi’s faeces’ comment on CM’s Facebook
- Bhabanipur bypoll: BJP stopped from campaigning near Mamata’s house
- In a first, Bengal to count big herbivores during tiger census
- Nagaland: NSCN-K Niki Sumi cadre arrested at Chumukedima
- World Rose Day 2021: Here’s why this day is dedicated to cancer patients