Sajibu Nongma Panba, also known as Sajibu Cheiraoba, is celebrated in Manipur to mark the traditional lunar new year for followers of the Sanamahism religion.
Here are 5 things you must know about the Manipuri festival:
- Sajibu Cheiraoba is observed in April by the Meitei people on the first day of the lunar month Shajibu.
- On the day before the festival, people clean their house and gardens are beautified; old utensils of the household are also well washed for the New Year festival.
- The festival is intended to strengthen the bond of love and brotherhood among family members.
- People arrange a family feast in which traditional cuisines are offered to local deities on plantain leaf at the entrance gates of the house.
- After the hearty meal, people climb up the Cheirao Ching Hill in Chingmeirong or atop a nearby hill in the afternoon to offer prayers. The belief is that it will elevate them to greater heights in their worldly life.
Also Read | Ramadan 2021: Best quotes, wishes, Quran verses
- Nagaland observes World Tuberculosis Day
- TB to be eliminated by 2025: Manipur health minister Sapam Ranjan Singh
- India’s largest hydropower project to commence soon: Arunachal Dy CM
- Manipur: One PLA insurgent arrested in Bishnupur
- Does it matter what time I go to bed?
- Charred bodies of 3 Mizoram residents found inside Myanmar territory