Imphal: The Manipur government has decided to conduct elections to the six Autonomous District Councils (ADCs) of the state, the notification for which will be announced on or before May 5, sources said.
The decision was taken during a meeting between the state government and representatives of the All Tribal Students’ Union Manipur (ATSUM) held on Wednesday evening.
ATSUM is the apex tribal students’ body of Manipur.
Water resource and YAS minister Letpao Haokip, PHED minister L Dikho and tribal affairs and hills minister Vungzagin Valte represented the state government.
In an agreement signed between the two parties, it was decided that the state government will take complete responsibility so that the elections are completed by June 25, 2021.
The representatives of ATSUM also decided to call off their ongoing agitation following the agreement.
Earlier, an emergency total shutdown in the hill districts of the state was imposed by the students’ body on Tuesday to protest the unwarranted arrest of three leaders of ATSUM. However, a mutual understanding was reached following which the three arrested student leaders were set free.
ATSUM has been spearheading and protesting against the delay in conducting elections to the six Autonomous District Councils (ADCs) of the state.
- Govt draws flak over appointment of party worker as officer in CMO
- Practice yoga at least 5 minutes a day, says Sarbananda Sonowal
- COVID-19 booster dose not central theme at the moment: Govt
- Vishwakarma Puja 2021: Wishes, greetings and significance
- Vishwakarma Puja: Ancient marvels designed by the divine architect
- Assam: Biswanath girl, in shorts, made to wrap curtain to sit for exam