Imphal: Two women suspected to be involved in the recent hand grenade attack and threatening a local media house in Imphal were arrested on Sunday.
The Chief Judicial Magistrate of Imphal West sent two women, identified as Heirangkhongbam Ongbi Ibecha Devi, 48, and Yumnam Ongbi Indubala Devi, 47, to police custody.
The motive behind the attack is yet to established, and the police are yet to arrest the main accused, said Imphal West SDPO Bidyapati Thingbaijam.
On February 13, two unidentified women on a two-wheeler lobbed a hand grenade at the front office of Poknapham, a local daily located in the heart of Imphal. Later, the local publication was threatened to stop publication for six months.
The state media fraternity staged a sit-in-protest and demanded the concerned authority to arrest the culprits involved in the case as soon as possible. Both electronic and print media ceased publication for a few days to protest against the attack.
As per the police report, the chief reporter of Poknapham received a WhatsApp message from an unknown number on February 24 from one Yaiphaba of the proscribed Kangleipak Communist Party (KCP)/MK Luwang.
On February 27, police arrested four persons in connection with the case. The arrested were identified as Md Abdul Hasan, 34, Md Itonchou of Saitong Awang Leikai, Sarajuddin, 29, Jamaluddin, 51, and Moijing Maulana Tajuddin, 34.
- Tripura 2023: Amit Shah to address two election rallies on Monday
- Manipur: Discover the hidden gems of ‘Land of Jewels’
- Meghalaya 2023: BJP’s Mariahom Kharkrang calls for public debate
- ‘The Elephant Whisperers’ shows how man, elephants can co-exist
- Assam: ASDMA, PWD to mitigate disasters under WB-funded project
- Who will look after girls when husbands go to jail, Owaisi asks Assam CM